It can be pretty easy to fall victim to a rut and feel like you are zipping through life on autopilot and desperate for new ways to boost energy. Low energy can be a result of things such as stress, fatigue, diseases, unhealthy lifestyle choices, or lack of physical activity and fitness routine. Not to worry, we’re here to share the 3 popular ways to BOOST your energy levels – naturally!
Prioritize Sleep Patterns
You’ve just woken up, but you’re already feeling exhausted because you didn’t get enough sleep last night. Our lives revolve around meeting deadlines, keeping up with our daily errands, and juggling our responsibilities at home. With all of these things going on throughout the week, sleep often takes a back seat.
Lack of sleep can lead to :
- Risk of health issues (such as diabetes, irregular heartbeat, or high blood pressure)
- Insufficient levels of attentiveness
- Memory problems
- Weakened immune system
- Daytime drowsiness
It’s essential that you prioritize your sleep patterns as it’s one of the best (and easiest) ways to boost your energy. Getting between 7 and 9 hours of sleep a night enables your body to reset, and helps you perform at your best the following day.
Here are our favorite tips for prioritizing your sleep patterns:
1. Create a sleep sanctuary. Make your place of rest a relaxing and calming room. You can enhance this space by adding in soft lights, comfortable pillows, lighting a candle and getting black out shades.
2. Turn off your electronic devices. Setting down your cell phone at least half an hour before you’re planning on heading to bed will calm your mind, and allow your natural circadian clock to register the darkness to mean sleep time.
3. Avoid caffeine before bedtime. Try to limit caffeine intake to before noon or 3:00 p.m, when possible. If you are someone who loves to take pre-workout, opting for a stim-free and natural energy drink will help you push through the workout, without the jitters.
4. Develop a nighttime routine. Some effective bedtime routines for adults can include various steps such as taking a warm shower, followed by reading a book, journaling or starting a meditation practice.
Eat Balanced Meals
The foods that we eat can either help or hinder our energy levels. In order to have optimal energy levels, it’s important to make sure you are eating the right foods and replacing items in your diet with healthier alternatives.
Here are just a few examples of healthy food swaps:
- Cookies -> Protein Oats
- Candy -> Fruits
- Ice Cream -> Frozen Yogurt
- Mayo -> Hummus
- Sugars -> Dates
- Beef Burger -> Veggie Burger
- White Rice -> Brown Rice
Asides from swaps, upgrade your plate by incorporating more colorful veggies and proteins with the help of nuts, beans, and protein shakes. Ditch boring beige plates for plates full of nutrients and color. Believe us, you’ll feel amazing.
Find Accountability and Get Moving
Lastly, get moving and find accountability to keep you moving with a HIIT trainer or group of friends. We get it, it’s hard to muster up the energy to exercise when you’re feeling tired and sluggish … that’s where accountability can come into play. Regular exercise is crucial for your overall health, and it will make you feel more energized.
You may find that keeping a fitness journal will be beneficial for keeping yourself accountable since it can be a great tool for monitoring your progress toward achieving your health goals. This allows you to follow your progress and stay on track with your overall health and wellbeing.
Speaking of fitness, it’s also important to find the type of exercise that is fun for YOU. Whether it be HIIT cardio, strength training, running, swimming, or yoga. You are more likely to stick to things if you’re having fun with them. More fun = more movement. More movement = more energy.
Another great way to find accountability is by hiring a personal HIIT trainer or joining a group fitness class with your friends. Circuit Works LA brings you a variety of workouts that are designed to boost your energy and well-being. Our classes are high-intensity interval training (HIIT) to maximize the body’s potential for fitness and weight loss, increasing internal core temperature to burn more calories for up to 24 hours after your workout.
We would love to see you at our fitness studio! Contact us today to get started on boosting your energy levels.